I have certain “alerts” set up in Google so that I get notified when certain keywords are in Google News. The word “marketing” is in a LOT of those alerts. Tonight I’m scanning my email and I see this article from Forbes.com .
The author is Jessika Phillips, President of NOW Marketing Group, where she is on a mission to return relationships to the forefront of business marketing.
I’ll just hit the highlights here, but know that if I could hug this woman right now, I would. She’s so right. If you own a business, any business, and especially a home care business, for the love of cheese, PLEASE get up off your butt.
- Online marketing is not a campaign, it’s a commitment. Damn right. Hire us and then never communicated again? That’s not a commitment. That’s a cop-out. Work with your marketing team. WORK with them.
- Social alone does not work. You need a website. Don’t build your business on rented land. You do not own Facebook. If Facebook leaves tomorrow, or shuts you down, and the ONLY thing you have ever relied on is that property to get customers, you are officially done. YOU NEED A WEBSITE, and it NEEDS CONTENT, NEW CONTENT.
- Putting money behind a poor ad does not make it perform better. So advertising is great, but hear me when I say that your heart and soul is better.
- You can’t hire everything out. Hello!? We’ve been saying this for years folks. YOU NEED TO CONTRIBUTE CONTENT. Tell me who you are, what you are doing, how you are benefiting our community. Help me trust you.
- If your in-person experience is poor, your online brand will suffer. Let’s say that again. If your in-person experience is poor, your online brand will suffer. And again: If your in-person experience is poor, your online brand will suffer. GET UP. GET OUT. You must connect your in-person direct referral marketing with your online marketing. If you do not, you lose, because guess what, we have trained your competition to slay. Or maybe Steve Weiss has, or maybe Melanie Stover has…get my drift? GET OUT THERE.
- Cheesy stock photos turn people off. Ha, we fight this battle every day. There are some very famous 75 year old models out there. I wonder if they see their own photos A LOT.
- You needed brand videos yesterday. Do WHAT? You need WHAT? Um..so here they are, pick 5 and you are on your way. CUSTOM BRANDED HOME CARE VIDEOS
- Your content is boring. Ya, so start contributing. No one cares about incontinence care (for the 40th time). Get some videos, memes and other fun stuff (hint…check out our FB programs here.)
- Stop buying followers. Ok, I’m a firm believer of building your local audience on Facebook, and you DO need to run some relevant ads to make that happen. But don’t buy likes from China. Or from someone on Fiverr. Yuk.
- No one person has it all figured out. Truth. Not ANY person outside of the home care industry is going to implement something better than a team who works IN the home care industry. Know it.
- You don’t need to be on each social media channel. Amen sister. And guess what people INSTAGRAM IS NOT YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC. NOOOO. Neither is Twitter. Stop it already. Wasting time and money.
- Twitter direct message automation as your only strategy does not work. Absolutely and Amen again. For the love of cheese. Do not waste your time messing around on Twitter. Get a client instead.
Thank you Jessika Philips, and may all of you read her article and understand that online marketing needs YOU. Without a dash of YOU, it doesn’t work.
Need some real help? Talk to us. Contact us HERE.
Valerie’s motto and favorite saying is: “Impact is not created by big budgets, impact is created by innovative marketing ideas!”
Valerie is a Registered Nurse and the author of three books, Aging Answers (2003), The Senior Solution (2007) and Priceless Caregiving (2009). Her adventure in internet marketing began as a self-promotion experiment and ended up becoming a full time marketing consulting business for the elder care market.
Valerie has appeared on national television (Today Show), has hosted her own local radio show, and has been interviewed for dozens of publications and radio shows across the country regarding her business and the business of elder care.
She fast became the foremost authority in driving sales via the internet, seminars, and e-mail for senior service providers and elder care entrepreneurs.While Valerie’s best known for her expertise in marketing, her students share that her biggest impact comes from her ability to make things happen quickly, even on a small budget.
Google Verified Author
Latest posts by Valerie VanBooven RN BSN (see all)
- Year End 2018 from Valerie V: You Are Just One Funnel Away…. - December 27, 2018
- Video: The Most Excellent Video on Home Care Leads and Marketing of 2018 - December 5, 2018
- I’ve Heard It All, and I Call B.S. - November 26, 2018