- “Build it and they will come” does not apply in the home care business. You have a competitor on every corner. What makes you different from the 500 other providers in your city? Important to think about for both new and old home care agencies.
- Most home care agency owners wear MANY hats– from owner to caregiver to case-opener to accountant, payroll, scheduler and more. Not to mention that many are moms, dads, grandparents, husbands and wives. That ‘s not new news, right? Here’s something to consider…you can’t be the internet marketing expert too. Farm it out. Don’t be cheap. Cheap doesn’t work. Smart works.
- You want leads? Of course you want leads. There are 500 things you can do to try and get leads. The most cost effective?
- Networking your butt off and developing referral partners.
- Get them through your own internet marketing efforts.
- The rest are a complete waste of time and money.
5. How do you get leads from your own internet marketing efforts?
- Have a great website that isn’t full of swishy floating crazy elements. Clean, crisp, simple. K.I.S.S. is applicable here.
- Great call to action on your website.
- Great SEO.
- Mobile optimized.
- New content every week.
- AUTHORITY AUTHORITY AUTHORITY- build online authority.
Wow, that’s a lot of geek-speak. Farm it out. Let experts do it for you.
6. And this should probably be #1. If you do not set aside a budget for internet marketing and networking, you will not survive in this market. You must be able to differentiate yourself, and convince people that they would be absolutely crazy to hire anyone but you/ your agency.
- How do you differentiate yourself? Testimonials, innovative programs, special training for staff, high level community involvement, talking about all of these items online and showing your community that you are serious, and that you care. When you accomplish this you can stop selling on price, and sell on BEING THE BEST.
7. Be a problem solver. If your messages, your literature, your website are not instantly solving the problem of “elder care”, you aren’t winning the client. Your competition is winning.
8. Have patience. “Rome wasn’t built in a day” is a true and over-used statement. A real, long-standing home care business won’t be built in a day, or even in the first year perhaps…… If you believe that within 4 weeks of launching a website that you should be overwhelmed with business, or even have client #1, you would be mistaken. Your competition has been at this MUCH LONGER than you have.
Ask yourself- (be honest with yourself)
- How many professional connections have I made this month in my community?
- How many times have I contributed to my online marketing program? (articles, photos, info?)
- How many times have I participated in a community event this month?
Your real answer will reflect your real current state of your business. It’s not your website, it’s not your phone line. It’s about contributing value to your community in more ways than one.
If you want a great online marketing experience call George from LTCEP at 888-404-1513 or email him at [email protected]
And you say what?
Valerie’s motto and favorite saying is: “Impact is not created by big budgets, impact is created by innovative marketing ideas!”
Valerie is a Registered Nurse and the author of three books, Aging Answers (2003), The Senior Solution (2007) and Priceless Caregiving (2009). Her adventure in internet marketing began as a self-promotion experiment and ended up becoming a full time marketing consulting business for the elder care market.
Valerie has appeared on national television (Today Show), has hosted her own local radio show, and has been interviewed for dozens of publications and radio shows across the country regarding her business and the business of elder care.
She fast became the foremost authority in driving sales via the internet, seminars, and e-mail for senior service providers and elder care entrepreneurs.While Valerie’s best known for her expertise in marketing, her students share that her biggest impact comes from her ability to make things happen quickly, even on a small budget.
Google Verified Author
Latest posts by Valerie VanBooven RN BSN (see all)
- Valerie V Show EP 13:E-Newsletters for Home Care Marketing. Do it Right! - February 16, 2018
- Valerie V Show EP 12: The Dos and Don’ts of Advertising Your Home Care Business! Don’t Waste Your MoneY! - February 14, 2018
- Valerie V Show EP 11: Google Monster Wants Speed and Secure Home Care Websites by July 2018! - February 13, 2018